BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
HyunJee
Fluorite | Level 6

I have a dataset which contains multiple blood pressure measurements per patient. The issue is, that some patients may only have 3 blood pressure measurements while other will have 10 blood pressure measurements. I want to calculate the standard deviation of all a patients blood pressure measurements within a given month - does one patient having only 3 versus another patient have 10 blood pressure measurements in a month affect how I will interpret the STD of blood pressure per month?  If I have not explained this clearly, please let me know. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The standard deviation is already adjusted for the number of observations. That's why it is called the "standard" (-ized) deviation (from the mean).  The only thing that you need to be aware of for interpretation is that there are two ways that someone can have a big standard deviation: (1) they can have moderate variablity but a small number of observations (such as 3), or (2) they can have a lot of variability with a large number of observatios (such as 10).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The standard deviation is already adjusted for the number of observations. That's why it is called the "standard" (-ized) deviation (from the mean).  The only thing that you need to be aware of for interpretation is that there are two ways that someone can have a big standard deviation: (1) they can have moderate variablity but a small number of observations (such as 3), or (2) they can have a lot of variability with a large number of observatios (such as 10).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation