BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
freedom93
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I'm new SAS user; I performed a logistic regression of 68 observations, but this is not significant. A friend advised me to take two or three times the number of observations that I have is to say the same thing but in two or three times. When I do this, then the regression is significant. But have I the right to do so?
If not, what can I do? I think this is my échatillon of studies was small.

4 REPLIES 4
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Don't do that. One of the key assumptions for inference in logistic regression is the independence of observations. Duplicated obs are definitely not independent.

What you can do:

• Plot the data. Make sure there are no outliers.
  • Consider using another statistical model.
  • Get more independent data.

Good luck.

PG
ballardw
Super User

How many independent variables are you using? How many levels are there for each of those? Too many varaibles/levels will often leave nothing signficant as there are not enough observations in any group.

Also, models are NOT required to have a signficant difference. The fact that there isn't may well mean that there is not sufficient influence on the population from your variables.

Reeza
Super User

This implies that your study was under powered, you didn't have enough samples to find a significant difference - based on the observed difference. 

Ksharp
Super User

You have small sample data. Try EXACT logistic regression.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation