Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

Non-parametric 2 sample t-test

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Non-parametric 2 sample t-test

I want to test the difference in "central tendency" - for lack of a better word- of 2 samples where 1 is realtively normal looking and the other is highly skewed to the right. Normally, I would just use a wilcoxon rank sum test, but I read that the 2 distributions must be similar in shape. Since mine are not, what test is appropriate?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
2 weeks ago
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Non-parametric 2 sample t-test

I agree with KSharp: it sounds like you can use PROC NPAR1WAY for this analysis.

The blog post he refers to shows that you can use PROC QUANTREG for a two-sample test of the difference between arbitrary quantiles. It can also provide confidence intervals for the quantiles.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Since  wilcoxon rank sum test is a non-parameter test. It doesn't matter what distribution your data have.

wilcoxon rank sum test can handle any distribution. Or you would like compare the median of them ?

I remember @Rick_SAS wrote a bolg about it before .

Solution
2 weeks ago
SAS Super FREQ

I agree with KSharp: it sounds like you can use PROC NPAR1WAY for this analysis.

The blog post he refers to shows that you can use PROC QUANTREG for a two-sample test of the difference between arbitrary quantiles. It can also provide confidence intervals for the quantiles.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation