BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi. I am doing a lot of non-parametric testing. I am running exact Wilcoxon two-sample tests. However, I am not sure what to report from the SAS output, specifically which "statistic" to report. The outprint provides an "S" statistic and a "Z" statistic, and I'm not sure which one should be reported alng with the p-value. I don't even know what each means. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

As well, why is the Wilcoxon p-value different than the Kruskal Wallis test p-value? I wlways thought these two tests were comparable with a 2-level independent variable.

Thanks again.
1 REPLY 1
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
First, the standard Wilcoxon (or Mann-Whitney) two sample test is equivalent to the Kruskal-Wallis test when there are just two groups. The p-values are not the same because the normal approximation includes a continuity correction. Form the documentation: "The normal approximation includes a continuity correction. To remove this, you can specify the CORRECT=NO option. "

The "S" statistic is pretty much useless for external reports because it's magnitude is a function of the sample size. There is a one-to-one correspondence between the uncorrected Z statistic and the p-value, so I generally just report the p-value.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation