BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mmazariegos
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear all,

I am trying to assess the association between breastfeeding and risk of type 2 diabetes, so far the association appears to be nonlinear. Do you know how I can assess the non-linear association when using a Cox proportional hazards regression model?

Thanks,

Monica 

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

It might help get a more targeted response by showing the code and the output you used and to identify the non-linear association.

Some description of the input data, such as a few rows of example data, might also help.

mmazariegos
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Ballardw,

I am using the proc phreg for Cox regression model,  the time variable is "follow_timedx_yrs" (person-years), the case is "definicion11_1" (values 0 and 1) and the exposure are the dummies for lactationcat.

Below the code to run the unadjusted model and the output: 

/*Unadjusted model*/
proc phreg data=diabetes2;
model follow_timedx_yrs*definicion11_1(0) = lactationcat_1 lactationcat_2 lactationcat_3 lactationcat_4/rl;
run;

Attached the output. 

I see that there is a non-linear association, I mean I would expect to have decreased risk for diabetes for the longer duration of breastfeeding, but this is not the case.  

Some time ago I run regression models with restricted cubic splines using the code of Dr. Rick Wicklin but now I don't know how to do it when using Cox regression models.

Thanks, 

Monica

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation