BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Miracle
Barite | Level 11

Hi everyone.

Could I please ask how can I resolve this?

I wish to get the lsmeans of Intervation but SAS gives me a warning saying 'WARNING: The ADJUST=DUNNETT p-values and confidence limits cannot be computed because the Dunnett-Hsu approximation did not converge. Try ADJUST=SIMULATE.' after I run the below glm model. I tried the ADJUST=SIMULATE but it gives me an error saying 'ERROR: Cannot compute simulated p-values with inestimable LSMEANS.'. I have about 60000 data points with up to 6 categories of Intervention and up to 7 categories of experimentNum. Their interaraction term is significant <0.0001.  There are zero observations for some combination groups of Intervention*experimentNum. However, the second lsmeans statement runs without problem.

Your help/insight is greatly appreciated!!

proc glm data=tmp order=internal plots=none;

class Intervention experimentNum;

model logconc=Intervention|experimentNum / solution e;

lsmeans Intervention / cl stderr e pdiff=control('No control');

lsmeans Intervention*experimentNum / cl pdiff stderr e om adjust=tukey;

run; quit;

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

The main effect marginal means for intervention cannot be calculated, for as you point out, there are "empty cells".  The interaction LSmeans are presented, because that is the level of observation, essentially.  Note that certain combinations (those with N=0) do not appear.  The best way around this is to fit a means model (see Milliken and Johnson's Analysis of Messy Data).  To get what you need in GLM, you would have to construct ESTIMATE statements that combine the non-zero values to get main effect means, and then take differences.  Unfortunately, the ESTIMATE statement does not allow for multiple comparisons.

Enter PROC MIXED (or GLIMMIX), and the LSMESTIMATE statement.  This will enable calculation of main effect means and differences, in a way that control for multiple comparisons can be handled.  The statements may be complex, getting 42 possible interaction means combined as needed.

Steve Denham

Miracle
Barite | Level 11

Thanks Steve for your reply! Much appreciated! I'll give it a go as you suggested.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation