BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MayTrix
Calcite | Level 5

I am running a statistical analysis for an experiment where subjects were randomly selected.  A strength measurement was taken at the same two locations (location) for each participant. The strength measurement was taken twice with two different methods (method). So there are 4 measurements for each participant.  We would like to determine if gender impacts the strength.  To do this we ran the following model:

proc mixed data=set;

class IDnum Sex method location;

model strength =  Sex | method | location;

random IDnum(Sex);

run;

The nested effect (IDnum(sex)) is considered to be random. But does this take into account the variability due to individuals themselves? Would I need to modify the random statement as follows:

random IDnum(Sex) IDnum;

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

This random term is the residual error for your design, and doesn't need to be explicitly stated in the random statement.  Now, if you consider location to be a repeated factor (which I would), then perhaps the following code would be appropriate:

proc mixed data=set;

class IDnum Sex method location;

model strength =  Sex | method | location;

repeated location/subject=IDnum(sex);

run;

This syntax for IDnum(sex) is necessary only if there are duplicate IDnum's that might be distinguished by sex (for instance, 101 in males, and 101 in females).  If IDnum is unique across sex, the syntax will work, but is not necessary.

The statement

random IDnum(Sex) IDnum;

will almost surely lead to a message that the 'G matrix is not positive definite' as it is redundant.

Steve Denham

MayTrix
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Steve for responding to my question. It was very helpful.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation