BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
wernie
Quartz | Level 8

Hi all,

This is probably a bit of a silly question, but I can't seem to find anything about this. I know in SPSS with other tests, a p value of 1.00 would mean absolute certainty and there is usually something that isn't quite right, but I'm not sure what a p value of 1 means in the output for negative binomial or if it is different in SAS. I have a two variables, plus the interaction between the two (which is what I'm interested in). Can anyone help me so I know how I should be interpreting this result or if there is something that I possibly did wrong that I need to redo?

Thanks Smiley Happy

5 REPLIES 5
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

If you are saying that you fit a negative binomial model including interaction, like this:

proc genmod;

model y = x1 x2 x1*x2 / dist=negbin;

run;

and that the p-value reported for the x1*x2 interaction was 1.0000, then this simply means that there is no evidence that the interaction parameter is nonzero.

loredana_cornea
Obsidian | Level 7

If you have a database with lots of lots of observations the p-value (excuse my language) "don't mean shit".

It's going to be 1 no matter what you do. So in this particular case you'll have to find another type of measurement

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Hmm...

Too much data ==> Meaningless results

Hmm....

I have to think about that one.

PG
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I strongly disagree with this statement from loredana.cornea.

wernie
Quartz | Level 8

Yes, it's definitely a dataset with a lot of observations!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation