BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Demographer
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

I've perform a mixed logit model with proc MDC. For some of the random coefficients set in the model, I get negative standard deviation. How is it possible? I cannot show you the codes and output because I work in a secure lab, but the problem seems to be the same as the one presented here: http://compgroups.net/comp.soft-sys.sas/mixed-logit-proc-mdc/643485

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

The documentation states pretty clearly that for a mixed logit model:

The estimate of spread for normally, uniformly, and lognormally distributed coefficients can be negative. The absolute value of the estimated spread can be interpreted as an estimate of standard deviation for normally distributed coefficients.

So, I would suggest taking the absolute value as the estimate of the standard deviation.  The documentation goes on to reference Brownstone and Train (1999) “Forecasting New Product Penetration with Flexible Substitution Patterns.” Journal of Econometrics 89:109–129.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

There are a number of statistical methods that try to estimate a variance, and wind up with a negative estimate for variance on some data sets.

I have always treated this as a zero variance for all practical purposes.

--
Paige Miller
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

The documentation states pretty clearly that for a mixed logit model:

The estimate of spread for normally, uniformly, and lognormally distributed coefficients can be negative. The absolute value of the estimated spread can be interpreted as an estimate of standard deviation for normally distributed coefficients.

So, I would suggest taking the absolute value as the estimate of the standard deviation.  The documentation goes on to reference Brownstone and Train (1999) “Forecasting New Product Penetration with Flexible Substitution Patterns.” Journal of Econometrics 89:109–129.

Steve Denham

owenchen
SAS Employee

The estimate of a standard error parameter in a mixed logit model could be negative.

For a normally distributed random parameter (ε ) in a mixed logit model, the random paramter (ε ) is transformed by a standard normal random variable η variable as follows:

ε = b +

where b is the mean and s^2 is the variance for ε.  Random variable η is N(0,1).

When estimating mean b, and spread s, since there is no restriction on the sign of s,  the estimate of s could be negative.

The absolute value of s should be interpreted as the standard error estimate.

Owen Chen

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation