BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
igforek
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I have run a PROC PHREG for the "Longev" (longevity) of my experimental subjects. I have a predictor named "InfSta" (for infection status, coded as 0=uninfected, and 1=infected). I also have quantitative covariates "Size" and "TotFec" (for total fecundity).
I used the stepwise selection of variables, as seen in the code below:

PROC PHREG DATA=WORK.TMP0TempTableInput
PLOTS=SURVIVAL
PLOTS=CUMHAZ;
MODEL Longev = InfSta    TotFec    Size    InfStaSize    InfStaTotFec    InfStaTotFecSize/
TIES=BRESLOW
CORRB
COVB
RISKLIMITS ALPHA=0.05
SELECTION=STEPWISE
SLENTRY=0.25
SLSTAY=0.15;
InfStaSize=InfSta*Size;
InfStaTotFec=InfSta*TotFec;
 InfStaTotFecSize=InfSta*TotFec*Size;
RUN;TITLE;

See attachment for partial output.

While I can interpret the Hazard ratio and CI for InfSta, I have some questions about the other predictors' CIs. It is difficult to me to interpret the Hazard Ratio for TofFec and the interaction InfStaTotFec. They are both the same: 0.999 (and their 95% CIs are also the same 0.999 to 1.000)!!!!!

My question are:

1. Why are the Hazard Ratios de same for TofFec and InfStaTotFec?

2. Has anyone seen a CI so narrow (0.999 o 1.000)? How do you interpret such a narrow CI?

3. "TotFec" (Total Fecundity) and "Longev" (Longevity) are significantly correlated (n=74, Pearson r=0.665, p=0.000). What effect may this have in the Cox PH model?

4. If TotFec and Longev are correlated, is it sound to use TotFec as a continuous variable for Longev in PHREG?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Igforek

sas-innovate-2024.png

Today is the last day to save with the early bird rate! Register today for just $695 - $100 off the standard rate.

Plus, pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation