BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GARYV
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello, 

I am new to data analysis and need help with the following.

I have a survey data summary table where i have results from state and area of that state. I am interested in yes response

It looks like following for each question 

Participants          Yes               C.I                   No           C.I.  

STATE         7450                    88%          83%-93%          12%     10% -14%

Area             668                       82            80%-84%          18%    16% -20%

How do I calculate statistical difference in above two and decide if its statistically significant?

I can do it by calculating yes and no response number from percentages given and do chi square test but it wont give a robust results.

Really appreciate input and help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GARYV
Fluorite | Level 6

You don't need to perform any statistical calculations. As long as CIs don't overlap, you can conclude that the results are statistically different. In the example in question, the result is statistically significant as CIs don't overlap.That is how governments interpret data. Correct me if I am wrong

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

Chi Square is robust...and your N is large enough to obtain reliable estimates.

If you want to explore non-parametric methods, look at PROC NPAR1WAY.

@GARYV wrote:

Hello, 

I am new to data analysis and need help with the following.

I have a survey data summary table where i have results from state and area of that state. I am interested in yes response

It looks like following for each question 

Participants          Yes               C.I                   No           C.I.  

STATE         7450                    88%          83%-93%          12%     10% -14%

Area             668                       82            80%-84%          18%    16% -20%

How do I calculate statistical difference in above two and decide if its statistically significant?

I can do it by calculating yes and no response number from percentages given and do chi square test but it wont give a robust results.

Really appreciate input and help.

GARYV
Fluorite | Level 6

You don't need to perform any statistical calculations. As long as CIs don't overlap, you can conclude that the results are statistically different. In the example in question, the result is statistically significant as CIs don't overlap.That is how governments interpret data. Correct me if I am wrong

Reeza
Super User
Please do not post the same question multiple times. Note that I've merged these into a single post and moved them to the Statistical Procedures forum as that seems better suited.
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
See the SURVEYFREQ procedure in SAS/STAT software.
GARYV
Fluorite | Level 6

HI , Thank you for reply. I only have output table with percentages  and C.I.. I don't have all the raw data set to use SURVEYFREQ procedure.

Reeza
Super User

All you need is the counts or you could recreate the data in an approximate fashion if you have the 2x2 numbers.

@GARYV wrote:

HI , Thank you for reply. I only have output table with percentages  and C.I.. I don't have all the raw data set to use SURVEYFREQ procedure.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation