BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I've learned how to use GENMOD assuming a poisson or negative binomial distribution, but I'm getting a much smaller deviance using a gamma with a log link. I need help interpreting these results.

I have a handful of explanatory variables, and the outptu is giving me the coefficient estimates for the intercept (1.87), and explanatory variables x1 (.29), x2 (.19), x3 (.47), and a scale parameter (3.87).

I'm trying to figure out where alpha is showing up on the output. The mean of the response variable is 7.13, so is alpha (7.13/3.87)? The results don't make the counts of my observed that well, but it's not bad.

Also, how do I find the corresponding model given these coefficients? I tried E(y)=exp(1.87 + .29x1 + .19x2 + .47*x3), but that didn't match my observed at all, and I'm not sure how to include the v and lambda variables.
1 REPLY 1
Dale
Pyrite | Level 9
Having specified a log link, you have indicated that E(Y)=exp(b0 + b1*x1 + b2*x2 + b3*x3). Whether you obtain a good fit or not is a different question.

I really don't know what you mean when you refer to "the v and lambda variables". GENMOD only allows you to model the expectation as a function of some predictor variables. It does not allow you to model the scale (or inverse scale) as a function of predictor variables. For that, you could use the NLMIXED procedure. But I am only guessing that your reference to "the v ... variables" refers to a set of variables which influence the scale parameter. And I have no idea what you mean by the lambda variables.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation