BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
inky
Calcite | Level 5

Hi! I'm inky. This is the first participation in the discussion.

Actually, I need your help to resolve my struggle; I have struggled with the reviewer's request regarding my manuscript, especially statistical method.

I used the multiple linear regression analysis (PROC REG) to evaluate the association between a biomarker (Y: long-transformed continuous variable)

and a factor score (X: continuous variable) after adjustment of age, sex, socioeconomic status, and other covariables.

The association was weakly significant (p-value <0.05)

The reviewer requested me to present p-value after Bonferroni adjustment in this model.

In my understanding, Bonferroni adjustment is relevant in multiple comparison for a categorical variable.

But, the reviewer said that "The Bonferroni adjustment is applicable whenever multiple p-values are considered regardless of which
statistical models were used to derive the p-values."

Is this correct for continuous variables in the multiple linear regression model?

If so, how to do Bonferroni adjustment in PROC REG?

Please get me out of this difficulty.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The need to correct for test multiplicity is mostly a matter of opinion (discuss it with your editor) but if you need to do so for any set of independent p-values, look at proc multtest with option inpvalues=

PG

PG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The need to correct for test multiplicity is mostly a matter of opinion (discuss it with your editor) but if you need to do so for any set of independent p-values, look at proc multtest with option inpvalues=

PG

PG
inky
Calcite | Level 5

Dear PG

Thank you a lot. I did run PROC MULTTEST as you suggested. p-value was not significant.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please understand that the Bonferroni adjustment gives you very conservative results compared to other multiple comparison methods. In other words, you are much less likely to find statistically significant results.

Furthermore, I agree with , there's no global agreement that you should use Bonferroni in this situation, and most statistical literature doesn't use them in this situation; most (if not all) of the times that I have seen Bonferroni used, it is for comparing means and not for slopes in a multiple regression.

--
Paige Miller
inky
Calcite | Level 5

Dear Mr. Miller

Thank you a lot for your opinion, which is very helpful for me to understand Bonferroni and to resolve my struggle.

Inky  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation