BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
igforek
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,
I run an analysis by using PROC MIXED as implemented in the EG 7.1 software. I have the code below:

PROC MIXED DATA = WORK.SORTTempTableSorted covtest
PLOTS(ONLY)=ALL
METHOD=REML;
CLASS IsolStr    IsolRepeatStr    IsolVialStr    InfStaStr;
MODEL TotFec=InfStaStr;
RANDOM   IsolStr     IsolRepeatStr(IsolStr)     IsolVialStr(IsolRepeatStr   IsolStr ) / TYPE=VC;
RUN; QUIT;

As can be seen in the code, I have a fixed factor, "InfStaStr," and several nested random factors. The random factors "IsolStr" and "IsolVialStr(IsolRepeatStr IsolStr)" had a varainace zero when the full model was run, but the nested term "IsolRepearStr(IsolStr)" did not a have a variance of zero (see attached file), and I get the "NOTE: Estimated G matrix is not positive definite."

I read in the SAS manual that in a case like this, random factors with variance zero can be romoved from the model. If I follow that advise, I would be left with a model with a single nested factor, "IsolRepearStr(IsolStr)," where the factor it is nested whitin, "IsolStr," is not present.

So, my question is: is it statistically sound to remove "IsolStr" in this case? Thank you for any help on this matter.
Igforek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
igforek
Quartz | Level 8

OK, it seems reasonable. I checked and there is not much change in the output when removing the random nested factors with value zero from the model. Thank you for your answer.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

For nested variance component (VC) effects, you can leave the 0-variance terms in the model. The results will be the same with or without them. Also, there is nothing wrong with leaving in a single random effects term as you described.

igforek
Quartz | Level 8

OK, it seems reasonable. I checked and there is not much change in the output when removing the random nested factors with value zero from the model. Thank you for your answer.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation