BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CheerfulChu
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Experts,

I have a multivariate model,

Y ~ X1 + X2 + X3 + X4 + X5 + X6 + intercept(?)

I read that it is better to keep the intercept else the regession line will be biased especially it is forced to go through the origin with 6 variables in the equation above. 

However, in the legacy program, the intercept is removed and externally studentized residuals are calculated. Would you keep or dont keep the intercept and why so?

Thank you

LL

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

Context matters. It depends a bit on what type of model and your subject area. In certain cases this approach makes sense and in others it doesn't. I don't believe we have enough information to actually answer your question. 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

It's hard for me to think of a good reason to leave the intercept out.

Even in the famous example of adding soap to water and measuring the amount of suds created, you would expect zero soap to produce zero suds ... a true statement ... but that's not the right thought process. If you are measuring the process near zero on the x-axis (near zero soap) you may find the process to be non-linear and it curves through the origin, in which case a linear regression is not appropriate; and if you are measuring the process away from zero on the x-axis (far away from zero soap) then you may find a linear model fits well in that region of the x-axis, but the model does not go through the origin.

In any case, I would certainly include the intercept in the model, and test to see if the intercept is not statistically different from zero before excluding the intercept. I would also check the data for non-linearity.

--
Paige Miller
CheerfulChu
Obsidian | Level 7
Miller: Its good idea to see if the intercept is not statistically different from zero. How do you check for non-linearity?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Check for non-linearity by examining the residuals from a linear model fit.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation