BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed

Hey guys;

I am trying to use the Cohen's Kappa statistic to compare the levels of agreement between four raters for four categories. However, the statistic I'm getting from the mAGREE macro is the level of agreement of all raters for each rating

Example output:

Rating      Kappa      Prob>Z

1              0.58          >.001

2              0.62          >.001

3              0.45          >.001

4              0.78          >.001

The table that I want to end up filling out looks something like this

Rater 1Rater 2Rater 3Rater 4Rater 5
Rater 1
Rater 2
Rater 3
Rater 4
Rater 5

What I am thinking of doing is calculating Kappa statistics for all combinations of raters. But then my question is, does that count as multiple comparisons and would it increase my levels of Type I error? Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
plf515
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Computing a p value for Cohen's kappa seems rather odd in the first place.  You would never expect the null hypothesis to be true. If it were even close  to true, then there wouldn't even be a point to computing an agreement statistic and even a highly significant kappa may be quite low for any practical purpose.

So, doing many kappas does increase the chance of type I error, but if there is even a tiny chance of a type I error, something is very wrong.

Ksharp
Super User

"does that count as multiple comparisons and would it increase my levels of Type I error?"

Sorry.If I was right. You messed it with ANOVA . Agree test is not ANOVA , therefore there should not be multiple comparisons ,Type I error .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation