BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Shivi82
Quartz | Level 8
Hi,
I am building a multiple logistic regression model in sas. The model is significant after consulting the concordant and C statisitc value. Also the other statisitc such as discordant, Somer's D, multicollinearity, AIC are under the allowed limits.
The residuals also meet the assumptions of the model. However I have a question - do i still need to use the model selection techniques - forward, backward or stepwise regression. What i have learnt so far from reading literature is that these techniques could slow down the modeling process.
Could you please advice under what circumstances it is best to use these selection techniques and should there be a minimum number of independent variables while doing so.
Thanks you. Shivi
1 REPLY 1
Haris
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

The answers to your questions will depend on your research context, sample size, event rate, the number of predictors, and their redundancy.

Very generally speaking, you want a model with as good of a fit to the data with as few variables as possible.  All of the variable selection techniques available in LOGISTIC are flawed and may not select the best variable subset.  They tend to over-include the predictors which may or may not be good for you.  The more modern ones such as LASSO and LAR are not available in PROC LOGISTIC at the moment.  Cross-validation may also be something you want to look into.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation