BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sblacklow
Calcite | Level 5

I would like to model a win or loss of the Patriots football team based on a few different predictors.  Is it possible to fit a multiple logistic regression model in JMP?  If so, how can I do it?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, you can do so, you would use the Fit Model command in the Analyze menu.

Speaking as someone who has followed for decades the mathematical attempts to predict sports wins and losses, my advice to you is: don't bother, there must be something better you can do with your time.

--
Paige Miller
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

My first statistical program was an effort to apply Spearman's rank correlation statistic between a variety of American football statistics and final standings in the 1971 NFL (I may have just pointed out what a dinosaur I am).  My instructor was impressed--the results were negligible.

Steve Denham

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

We're in the same boat Steve

Using published statistics to predict NFL results has two serious problems:

1. Relevant information is not available (i.e. relative strength and speed and stamina of an offensive lineman compare to the strength and speed and stamina of a defensive lineman)
  2. Noise swamps the signal (injuries, referee's calls, weather, coaching decisions, etc.)

As far as I know, no one has ever come up with a successful model that worked long-term (otherwise, if there was such a model, the Las Vegas bookies would go broke, and that hasn't happened)

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation