BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mszommer
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I have a non metric DV (ordinal) and both metric and non metric Independent variables and need to classify /predict group membership.

I know that PROC DISCRIM uses only continuous variables in the VAR Statement. How can I run a multiple discriminant analysis in SAS

Any help would be more than appreciated

Regards,

MS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

I don't know what you mean by " multiple discriminant analysis in SAS"

For predict model, most used is 

1) proc logistic

2) proc hpsplit --- decision tree

Discriminant is very low powerful, and only can apply to continuous variables.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Ksharp
Super User

I don't know what you mean by " multiple discriminant analysis in SAS"

For predict model, most used is 

1) proc logistic

2) proc hpsplit --- decision tree

Discriminant is very low powerful, and only can apply to continuous variables.

mszommer
Obsidian | Level 7

Well, linear discriminant analysis requires continuous independent variables, however multiple discriminant analysis works with a metric dependent variable and non metric independent variables.

I'm looking at predicting group membership.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@mszommer wrote:

Well, linear discriminant analysis requires continuous independent variables, however multiple discriminant analysis works with a metric dependent variable and non metric independent variables.

I think you have it backwards. Multiple discriminant analysis would have several class dependent variables, and metric independent variables. However, SAS PROC DISCRIM does not perform Multiple discriminant analysis, it only works on a single dependent variable.

If you really have multiple dependent class variables, you could combine them into a single class variable encompassing all of the multiple class variables, or perhaps something like PROC PLS will work (or maybe it won't, I haven't really tried).

--
Paige Miller
mszommer
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello Paige,

I have just one dependent variable (rating of delivery: ordinal) and varied non metric (nominal, ordinal) and metric (discrete) independent variables.

I wish to classify the respondents based on their delivery rating. What test would you suggest?

Regards

MS

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@mszommer wrote:

Hello Paige,

I have just one dependent variable (rating of delivery: ordinal) and varied non metric (nominal, ordinal) and metric (discrete) independent variables.

This contradicts everything you have previously stated ... now you have one dependent variable that is ordinal. Is this the correct statement of the problem now?

I wish to classify the respondents based on their delivery rating. What test would you suggest?

Did you mean to say you want to classify the respondents based upon their independent variables?

If your answer to both questions above is YES, then I think PROC DISCRIM is fine, or logistic regression would also be a tool that can be used in this situation.

--
Paige Miller
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

mszommer wrote:

Given the nature of your predictors, I think you should at least consider @Ksharp's suggestion to use (a recent version of) HPSPLIT.  A decision tree model is easier to interpret than discriminant or logistic models and relies on fewer assumptions about the predictors. 

If you have access to JMP, try the Partition platform to develop your decision tree. It's a lot easier to use.

PG
mszommer
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you all for your response. I really appreciate it.

I did run PROC HPSPLIT, however, I have difficulties interpreting the results. Could you kindly help with it?

Also, I do not have access to JMP.

Regards

MS

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

I only have access to version 13.1 of SAS/STAT. From what I can read, proc HPSPLIT is much friendlier in version 14.1. I suggest you ask for help on HPSPLIT as a new topic. Good luck!

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation