BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
msdinesh87
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have a question regarding the model statement syntax in proc logistic. I read that the below two model statements are equivalent.

1. Mode1 Purchase * Gender Age Region;

2. Mode1 Purchase * Gender|Age|Region @1;

I have never seen such model statements ever before. My questions are

1. Can we use asterisk to separate the dependent from independent variables?

2. What is the @1 doing in the 2nd option above?

3. How are these two statements equivalent?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

1. No. The asterisk is used to denote interaction terms rather than a single term.

2. The bars | separating the variables tell SAS to consider interaction between those variables, but the @1 says to only consider single level so no interaction. If it was @2 then it would consider all 2 level interactions (Gender*Age Gender*Region Age*Region etc) between the variables. 

3. I don't think they're equivalent. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Reeza
Super User

1. No. The asterisk is used to denote interaction terms rather than a single term.

2. The bars | separating the variables tell SAS to consider interaction between those variables, but the @1 says to only consider single level so no interaction. If it was @2 then it would consider all 2 level interactions (Gender*Age Gender*Region Age*Region etc) between the variables. 

3. I don't think they're equivalent. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation