BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Siddhartha
Calcite | Level 5
1. Generating Data from Mixed Models and Estimating parameters using PROC MIXED
Consider a situation of Mixed Models where one gets n observations from k groups. Assume that response variable Y follows the mixed model

Yij = μ + βi Χij + εij i = 1,...k; j = 1,...,n,
where μ is a fixed common effect, βi is a random effect (common for a given group and different for different groups) and εij are error terms. Assume that the all random effects are normally distributed as
βi ~ N(0, σb2 ) and that εij ~ N(0, σe2 )
Assuming that
(a). Χij = 1 for all i and j as in a simple random effects model, k=5 and n=10, using SAS rand('normal') function generate a set of Yij when μ =10, σb = .5 and σe = 1.
(b). Using the above data estimate parameters μ and βi as well as σb = .5 and σe parameters by PROC MIXED and compare estimates with actual values (note: they can be very different due to small sample size, but we will study average performance below).
(c) Repeat above two steps when the covariate vector for each group is a vector from 1 to 10; i.e. Χi. = c(1,2,....n).

2. Simulation: Testing Accuracy of SAS Estimates
Convert the data generation in Exercise 1 above into a macro with σb and σe as parameters. Under the above two scenarios on covariate X, call your macro 1,000 times and report
(a) average of βi estimates when σb = .5 and σe = 1,
(b) average of σe estimates when σb = .1 and σe = 1,
(c) average of σb estimates when σb = .1 and σe = 1.

Can anyone help me on this.

Thanks,

Siddhartha

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation