BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
FranAstorga
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I'm running glimmix for a group of categorical variables. I wanted to evaluate models using Akaike, therefore I put laplace as the METHOD, which allow be to obtain AIC values.

seBUT, my question is:  Am I doing something wrong? Because results are very different if using the default method RSPL or the laplace, so I'm afraid I might me skipping something important....

I red that the laplace method wont let you model the R-effect, but I'm not sure if I understand what it means...

So.. please.... Help!!!

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Yes, the results will often differ substantially between the pseudo-likelihood methods and the quasi-likelihood methods.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a good way to compare competing models under the pseudo-likelihood methods, as the pseudo-data will not be constant.

So, model the repeated nature as a G side parameterization using method=laplace, and trust in those results, as they have been shown to be relatively less biased than the marginal estimates using an R side parameterization.

Steve Denham

FranAstorga
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, Steve

But I'm still worried. In the SAS documentation it says that:

'R-side effects in the RANDOM statement do not generate model matrices; they serve only to index observations within subjects"

The problem is my data. I'm using more that one observation per individual, therefore I'm using GLIMMIX to consider each individual as a "cluster" item. I'm studing dogs within a comunity, and each person has one or more dogs, therefore I'm using the "owner" as an item that should be considered by the procedure. If I understood correctly what SAS said, I would need R-side effects, because they would be serving me to index observations within subjects.

Am I understanding it correctly?

What do you think?

Could I still use laplace for my data?

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

In this case, R-side would index each dog within an owner, as if the owner were measured on successive time points or at geographically defined points.  G-side would add columns to the Z matrix so that each owner is viewed as a cluster of dogs, and a variance component (or components) is estimated.  For what you are doing, I don't see any need for R side approach.

Now a key here is the distribution associated with the response variable.  Be sure that the link associated is appropriate--cumulative logit for ordinal categories and generalized logit for nominal categories.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 2 in conversation