BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DJ
Calcite | Level 5 DJ
Calcite | Level 5

Hello friends,

I have a question regarding selection of statistical test. Here is the situation: we have two treatments A & B and would like to compare differences between A & B. We have 100samples, we made two aliquots from each sample and applied both treatments. How should I treat this data - matched pair or independent two groups?

Which SAS procedure will work for me?

Thanks in advance.

DJ

4 REPLIES 4
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

I would treat the data as matched pairs :

proc glimmix data=test plots=all;

class treat sampleId;

model x = treat / solution;

random intercept / subject=sampleId;

run;

look carefully at the residual plots for any pattern.

PG

PG
DJ
Calcite | Level 5 DJ
Calcite | Level 5

Hi PG,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Is there any non-parametric test appropriate to this problem?
Thanks

DJ

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

You could do a Wilcoxon signed ranks test on the difference between treatments (A-B) for each sample. It is available in PROC UNIVARIATE.

PG

PG
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I am very curious as to why the OP would want to do a non-parametric test.  Are the response variables really non-normally distributed?  If the response variable is a concentration, perhaps a lognormal distribution can be assumed, and the GLIMMIX approach appropriately modified with a dist= option.  On the other hand, if there is a problem with responses being above or below limit of quantitation for the assay, I can understand wanting to move to a nonparametric test.  However, if this is not the case, the detectable difference for the nonparametric test will be much larger than for the parametric test.

And of course, once those plots are examined, it may be really obvious why a nonparametric approach would be needed.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation