Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

MIANALYSE not producing overall p-value for class variables despite classvar=full option

New Contributor

MIANALYSE not producing overall p-value for class variables despite classvar=full option

[ Edited ]

Hi,

My data is longitudinal with repeated measures of the exposure and the outcome across time. My exposure variable and outcome variable are continuous, but I'm controlling for continuous and categorical variables. I have imputed the missing covariates and used a mixed model with a random intercept. When I try using MIANALYZE, SAS does not produce combined tests/p-values for my categorical variables even though I've included the classvar=full option as described in the documentation. I get this warning message: 

WARNING: The within-imputation covariance matrix is singular. The total covariance matrix and related statistics in multivariate
inference will be set to missing.

I also tried using the TEST statement to produce a combined test of my categorical variable but I get an error message saying TEST cannot be used with class variables.

Here is the structure of my code:

PROC MI DATA=data OUT=outmi;
CLASS group;
FCS DISCRIM(group) REG(exposure);
VAR group <and multiple other variables>;
RUN;

PROC MIXED DATA=data covtest;

BY _IMPUTATION_;

CLASS id group;

MODEL outcome=time exposure group time*exposure /ddfm=bw solution CL covb;

RANDOM intercept / SUBJECT=id TYPE=UN;

ods output SolutionF=mixparms CovB=mixcovb;

RUN;

PROC MIANALYZE PARMS(CLASSVAR=full)=mixparms COVB(EFFECTVAR=rowcol)=mixcovb;

CLASS group;

MODELEFFECTS intercept time exposure group time*exposure;

RUN;

QUIT;

I would greatly appreciate your help. I've been looking everywhere. Others have had a similar issue, but the solution seems to have been the CLASSVAR=full option which didn't work for me.

Thanks

SAS Employee

Re: MIANALYSE not producing overall p-value for class variables despite classvar=full option

Posted in reply to ameliebjean

This will happen any time you are using the covariance matrix from MIXED since it provides a design matrix that is not full rank.  Since you are not using the MULT option or the TEST statement you can remove the COVB= data set completely and the WARNING will go away.

To get combined tests for the CLASS variables (since MIANALYZE does not allow a TEST statement) you could take the approach detailed in this paper.

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings14/1543-2014.pdf

New Contributor

Re: MIANALYSE not producing overall p-value for class variables despite classvar=full option

Thanks, but unfortunately, it is not working.

I cannot produce type3s with the mixed model. When I add "method=type3" in the proc mixed statement, I get the following error message:

ERROR: Type 3 estimation is not available with this model.

Therefore, I can't use the macro from the paper you gave me because I cannot produce and extract the type3s.

Would you know a way around this problem?

Thanks

Amélie

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation