BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
TerrieShaft
Calcite | Level 5

I'm running a MANOVA and I get identical f-values when I ask for the intercept and when I omit it from my statement. This seemed counter intuitive to me, and also to my colleague who uses MANOVA extensively (however he uses SPSS). Can anyone help me understand why this makes no difference? I've included my code below. I'm sure I'm overlooking something basic. 

proc glm;
class delay familarity breadth;
model attitude perfave = delay familarity breadth delay*familarity delay*breadth familarity*breadth
                                       delay*familarity*breadth;
manova h= intercept delay familarity breadth delay*familarity delay*breadth familarity*breadth delay*familarity*breadth /summary;
manova h= delay familarity breadth delay*familarity delay*breadth familarity*breadth delay*familarity*breadth /summary;
run;

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

There are many F values printed, so I'm not sure which ones you are concerned about. Are you talking about the MultStat table?

Run the following program and look in the log to find the name of the tables:

proc glm data=sashelp.class;
class sex age;
model weight height = sex | age;
manova h= intercept sex|age /summary;
manova h= sex|age /summary;
run;
Ksharp
Super User

model weight height = sex | age/ nouni;

TerrieShaft
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks. I think I finally sorted it out. SAS fits an intercept b/c of the class variables - I didn't realize it until I tried to specify NOINT (see SAS log details below). I suspected it was including an intercept but this verifies it. 

NOTE: Due to the presence of CLASS variables, an intercept is implicitly fitted. R-Square has
been corrected for the mean.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation