BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
laura72
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I ran a proc logistic on a binary response with a few covariates, some continuous and some categorical. When I checked the TYPE III analysis of effect, there is one line for a categorical covariate with DF = 0 and missing estimate. What is wrong here?

TYPE III Analysis of Effect

Effect   DF Chi-square     Pr>Chisqr

Age        1   58999.5037  <.0001

Indicator  0   .                   .

gender    1   3266.6988   <.0001

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

What does proc freq on the variable (indicator) do, with similar modelling restrictions (ie any where clause you used)?

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Logistic Regression has a linear model component.  If any variable can be expressed as a linear combination of others, then it will show up with 0 degress of freedom and no estimate.

For instance, if you had 0-1 binary variables called Female and Male, then <Female = 1 - Male> and one of them is redundant.  Usually, it is not as bovious as my example and you might need to do some two way frequencies or correlations to tease out the dependency.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation