BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
hanson4022
Calcite | Level 5

I've been doing a logistic regression of two variables. Dose [1,5,10,15] and response [binomial list of how many died after being given a specific treatment dose]. In PROC LOGISTIC, you can ask for confidence intervals with the l= and u= statements in the output. This results in a logistic regression model of what percentage of individuals you can expect to to die after being given a specific doseage.  The output will give the confidence intervals for predicted mortality at doses 1,5,10,and 15. I'm using the events / trails syntax, so I'm using a statement like this:

proc logistic data =data plots=effect plots=ROC   ;

model    dead/trtsize =dose    ;

output out=mortalitymeasures p=LT  l=lower95 u=upper95;

run;

However, what if I'm interested in confidence intervals between the treatment doses? Specifically I'm interested in 50% mortality, which occurs between doses 5 and 10 at 6.5. I'm rusty on my logistic regression, but is it even statistically feasible to try to calculate a confidence interval for mortality at 6.5 since there were no observations at this dose, and hence no sample size to generate a confidence interval? Seems like an issue of interpolation. If it's actually appropriate look for confidence intervals for predictions between treatments, how would I go about this for something like PROC LOGISTIC or LIFEREG?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
1zmm
Quartz | Level 8

I added an observation with non-missing independent variables but with missing dependent variables in the events/trials syntax to the PROC LOGISTIC ingots data set.  PROC LOGISTIC estimated a predicted value and its 95% confidence interval for this observation without any problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
1zmm
Quartz | Level 8

Does including in the original logistic regression a "dummy" observation with a value of DOSE=6.5 but missing values for DEAD and TRTSIZE yield a predicted value and its 95% confidence interval for that DOSE?

Reeza
Super User

Missing values are excluded from the fitting of the data and the model wouldn't be able fit because there are no dead or trtsize values. Typically, when you fit for a specific variable the others are set to the average value of the observed data.

1zmm
Quartz | Level 8

I added an observation with non-missing independent variables but with missing dependent variables in the events/trials syntax to the PROC LOGISTIC ingots data set.  PROC LOGISTIC estimated a predicted value and its 95% confidence interval for this observation without any problem.

Reeza
Super User

You are correct. I forgot that dead/trtsize were the dependent variables.

Message was edited by: Reeza

1zmm
Quartz | Level 8

Dead and Trtsize are the DEPENDENT variables whose predicted value PROC LOGISTIC estimates.  If any of the independent variables were missing from an observation, PROC LOGISTIC could NOT estimate its predicted value.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation