BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Edoardo
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

probably a naive question.

I'm estimating the variance component of the random factor of my Linear mixed model.

I get rather small component (of the order of 0.0002). This means that the random factor contributes little to the model.

But there is a way to derive how much variance is explained (that is a certain percentage) by the random factor by looking to the magnitude of the variance component of the random factor?

Many thanks

Edo

1 REPLY 1
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Whether or not 0.0002 is small or large would depend on the scale of your response variable. Regarding % variance explained, you might be able to do this, but it is not clear if you should do it. It depends on your model (and experimental layout). If you have a hierachcial variance component model, you could add all the variances and look at percentages. But note: the theoretical random effects in the model may be independent, but the estimates likely are correlated. The variance estimates would be correlated also. This complicates the interpretation in terms of percentages of a total.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation