BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
stuart_allen
Calcite | Level 5
I'm fairly new to SAS, using LIFETEST with the TEST statement, looking at association between covariates and survival time. I've noticed that if I run PROC LIFETEST several times, testing only a single variable each time (say 'age', then 'sex', then 'weight') I get a different set of results than if I use multiple variables within a single PROC LIFETEST (TEST age sex weight;). I am talking about results for only "Univariate Chi-Squares for the Log-Rank Test".

The results are similar, but not the same - I was under the impression that by using multiple variables in the TEST statement it would simply run a univariate test for each variable in turn, but the differing results suggest otherwise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
the first thing to look at are missing values. If you have any missing values for ANY variable in the TEST statement, that observation will be deleted and all the results change a little.
stuart_allen
Calcite | Level 5
Ah, so observations are deleted where ANY of the variables are missing, and then the results computed.

I suspect that is probably the answer! Thanks!
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Yup. It is in the reference manual for LIFETEST under Missing data.

It is the normal behavior for most stat procedures in SAS (as well as other stat packages). Pairwise deletion is the exception (as in PROC CORR).

Doc
stuart_allen
Calcite | Level 5
I see it now:

"If any variable specified in the TEST statement has a missing value, that observation is not used in the calculation of the rank statistics."

Just need to know where to look! Very helpful, thanks again.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation