BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DS32
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

As part of the proc reg procedure, SAS has an option to report confidence intervals for each of the individual covariate coefficients. However, is there a way to report a joint confidence interval for the summation of two of the covariate coefficients?

For example, given the following regression model:

Wage = b0 + b1 Female + b2 Married + b3 Female x Married

I am interested in z = b1 + b3 since this gives me the average amount by which married females make more/less than single females. I would like to find a confidence interval for z to determine whether it is statistically significant.

Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

If you are looking for interaction effect. Try this one.

proc glm data=have;

class female married;

model wage = female married female*married;

run;

quit;

Reeza
Super User

I think you'll  need to move into a different proc, such as GLM with the estimate or means statement.

DS32
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the response, would these commands help me in testing H0: b1 + b3 = 0?

Reeza
Super User

I believe so.

DS32
Calcite | Level 5

I see, thanks for the help. I'll look into it.

DS32
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your responses, I have actually created a FemaleMarried (= Female * Married) interaction variable before using the proc reg command. From my understanding, the command:

test     Female, FemaleMarried

would test H0: b1 = b3. However, I am interested in testing H0: b1 + b3 = 0. Is there a way to do this in SAS?

Also, I am running a similar model using the quantreg procedure, so I was wounding if I can apply the same test there?

Thanks again for your help.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

I think you want b2+b3.  The wage for single females under your model is b0+b1.  For married females it is b0+b1+b2+b3.  So the difference in wage is b2+b3.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 4 in conversation