BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Celine_France
Calcite | Level 5
Good evening,

on the SAS support, I've found the macro intracc which calculates the intraclass correlation coefficient.
In books, it is written that this value is between 0 and 1. However, with some data (where judges give very different marks) and using the macro, I've found negative values.
Is there an error in the macro ? Shall I changed these values to 0 ?

Thanks a lot,

Céline
4 REPLIES 4
Celine_France
Calcite | Level 5
I've forgotten to precise that I work on difference of marks, which means that I can have negative values.
May it have an influence on the calculation of the ICC ?

Thanks a lot,

Céline
statsplank
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Celine_France,

No, it doesn't matter if your data values are negative.

In general, there could be situations leading to negative estimates of ICC. It depends on how variance components used to calculate ICC are estimated. I am not familiar with this macro so I can only guess that the method of moments is applied.
Celine_France
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks a lot Statsplank !

I've done some researches about this topic and if ICC is negative, it is because intra-group variance is higher than inter-group variance.

Some documents explain that if ICC is negative, we can conclude to no agreement between the raters. Do you think that I can conclude to that in my case ?

By advance, thanks a lot,
statsplank
Calcite | Level 5
I would think so... Although you should probably discuss it with somebody who has more experience in this area.

All the best to you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation