BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Hank
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I hope there is anyone to answer this one.. Smiley Happy

When a regression is done, you get lots of free diagrams and histograms that come along with the results. I have attached two examples below. I went to a SAS course in statistics/anova/regression, but I never figured out how to interpret the lowest middle graph in the fit diagnostics table (attached in first file).

Is there anyone who can explain how to interpret these results? I.e. what do "fit mean" and "residual" show, in proportion to "proportion less"? what should the desired shape/form for the curve/line be? How should I interpret the results in the attached fil, as there seems to be a nice nonlinear line?

Most importantly, what remedies and actions should be taken to act on an eventual outcome that is not desired?

These results comes from a regression where I have hoped to rule out anything unwanted in an OLS regression (i.e multicollinearity, heteroscedasticity etc. The response has been box-cox transformed to get linear residuals- which normality test show). Therefore I am a bit worried about the curvature on the graphs.

Best regards,

Hank 

Box-Cox_Y.PNGFit diagnostics.PNG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

There is a description of the Residual-Fit Spread Plot in the PROC REG doc:SAS/STAT(R) 9.3 User's Guide (search for "Residual-Fit")

Basically, you look at the heights of the two plots. If the left side (Fit) is taller than the right side (Residuals), then it means that the variables in the model explain a lot of the variation in the response variable.  If the right side (residuals) are taller, then it means that there is still a lot of unexplained variation.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

There is a description of the Residual-Fit Spread Plot in the PROC REG doc:SAS/STAT(R) 9.3 User's Guide (search for "Residual-Fit")

Basically, you look at the heights of the two plots. If the left side (Fit) is taller than the right side (Residuals), then it means that the variables in the model explain a lot of the variation in the response variable.  If the right side (residuals) are taller, then it means that there is still a lot of unexplained variation.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation