Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

Imputed Data

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Imputed Data

I just got the "MI of missing data with SAS" book last night. I ran code from section 6.3 (for arbitrary missing data, categorical > 2 groups, using FCS discrim).

Everything worked fine. I have the imputed data from all of the iterations,.., etc., but what do I use in the original dataset. Is there a way to kick out the original dataset with these data inserted into it?

Super User

Re: Imputed Data

Most of us likely don't have the book. It would help to show the code you did run to generate the output.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Thanks ballardw.

I am now under the impression that you will not typically get a single imputed dataset (with the pooled values). Instead you get the n imputed datasets and a pulled estimate of those datasets. For my example,  that was the percentages in each of the groups for the missing categorical variable. I think that is the answer to my question.

Other scenarios where the purpose may be inferential statistics, you would run the procedure with all of the datasets and get a pooled estimate for the statistic.

If there are any other possibilities people know of I would appreciate hearing their thoughts!

SAS Super FREQ

As you figured out, PROC MI creates stacked versions of the original data, where the various replicates are indicated by distinct values of the _IMPUTATION_ variable.  You use the BY _IMPUTATION_ statement in your favorite procedure to analyze each imputed value, then use PROC MIANALYZE to aggregate the results. PROC MIANALYZE produces a point estimate for your statistic and a standard error that corrects for the added variance due to imputation.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation