BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have never run the stepwise /backward regression before. I am wondering on what basis I can decide the values for slentry (sig level to allow the variable in the model)  and slstay (sig level to keep the variable in the model).

Any guidance/help will be appreciated.

Thanks much,

Ashwini

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Guidance #1. Don't do backward/forward/stepwise regression.

Guidance #2. See guidance number 1.

There is an abundant number of posts and papers regarding the dangers of this method.  The resulting models have poor predictive ability and the regression parameters range from moderately to severely biased.  See the NESUG paper by Flom and Cassell: "Stopping stepwise: Why stepwise and similar selection methods are bad, and what you should use"  http://www.nesug.org/proceedings/nesug07/sa/sa07.pdf

Still if you must deliberately use a poor tool, stick to the default values.

Steve Denham

Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Steve for advising me on this! It's great to know about the latest guidelines on SAS/STAT procedures.

Best,

Ashwini

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation