BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Minhtrang
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I need help on choosing the cut-off p-value for interaction term in linear regression model.

It seems to be a rule of thumb for setting p-value<0.25 or <0.2 for including potential interaction terms in logistic regression model, as mentioned by this website

http://sydney.edu.au/vetscience/biostat/macros/logistic_tut_begin.shtml

I ran linear regression models (outcome is continuous variable, sample size=4300) and I'm not sure that I can use the same cut-off p-value to distinguish an interaction term in my model. 

I would love to hear from your experience.

Thank you.

Trang

2 REPLIES 2
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

One person's "rule" is another person's "ridiculous", or vice versa. "Rules" that work fine in one subject matter may be total hogwash in a very different subject matter.

There is no mathematical or objective way to determine the proper p-value. You pick one that you feel comfortable with. You can be conservative, and pick small p-values, or liberal and pick large p-values, it's up to you.

Just remember that whatever rule you pick, there are consequences — you may reject hypotheses that should be accepted, or vice versa.

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User

That method of analysis is also known as 'p-value' hacking to some degree these days and you should be very careful with this, especially if you're trying to publish your results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_dredging

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation