BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Finecas
Calcite | Level 5
I have a project where I need to redefine the level for type I and type II errors (alpha and beta). I want to set alpha to 0.1 and beta to 0.85. Any help is appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
RickM
Fluorite | Level 6
I think you are mixing up beta and power (1-beta). What kind of testing are you doing? You can always set alpha to whatever you want. Then for that alpha you need to find a sample size that will give you the correct beta/power. How to calculate sample size will depend on what you are trying to do.
Finecas
Calcite | Level 5
Here's the problem, perhaps in better detail. This study already had a sample size calculated in the study design, from another program, before the data was ever collected. Now I need to do a Wilcoxon signed rank test for 40 subjects, with alpha 0.05 and b (power) 0.85, which are the assumptions from the sample size document. So far what I have figured out is that I can use PROC UNIVARIATE, and ALPHA =, but I can't find how to redefine beta. Everything that I have read which discusses "power" is about sample size and power calculations, not about simply assigning new value for beta.
RickM
Fluorite | Level 6
If the data is already collected then you have no control over the power unless you are allowed to collect more data. You don't assign a power when you are doing a Wilcoxon signed rank test (or any test really). You can only influence the power by changing sample size or alpha before you collect your data. That is why all you found about power was related to sample size.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation