BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Robin_B
Calcite | Level 5

I'm taking a Coursera course that gave example code to produce a lasso regression. In their code, they used lars algorithm to get a lasso multiple regression:

* lasso multiple regression with lars algorithm k=10 fold validation;
proc glmselect data=traintest plots=all seed=123;
partition ROLE=selected(train='1' test='0');
model schconn1 = male hispanic white black namerican asian alcevr1 marever1 cocever1 
inhever1 cigavail passist expel1 age alcprobs1 deviant1 viol1 dep1 esteem1 parpres paractv 
famconct gpa1/selection=lar(choose=cv stop=none) cvmethod=random(10);
run;

On the lar documentation page, it does say "Not only does this algorithm provide a selection method in its own right, but with one additional modification it can be used to efficiently produce LASSO solutions." However, nowhere can I find an explanation of what the "additional modification" is that is making these results LASSO results rather than LAR results. When I run the code on the same data with "selection=lasso" instead, I get the same best fit model, but the plots and tables show variables (after the best fit model has been chosen in an earlier iteration) being removed from the model as their coefficient is shrunk to 0 (as I would expect with a LASSO regression), which is not the case of the output using the above example code. Can anyone shed some light on how I am using LARS to get LASSO results? Thanks! 

2 REPLIES 2
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

See this paper which shows how to use various penalized methods in PROC GLMSELECT, including LASSO.

Robin_B
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the response! I actually saw this paper, and have run the glmselect with the LASSO option (and ended up with the same FINAL model, though the overall results do differ). I'm just looking to understand if and how the LAR option is being modified to get a LASSO result in the code I shared.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation