Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

How to interpret GLM ouput?

Super Contributor

How to interpret GLM ouput?

I'm new user to Modelling and now I've struck whilst interpreting the GLM output.

What does F value and Pr > F denotes? I've F value as 49.63 Pr > F as <.0001? When I should reject my null hypothesis for 95% CI and what is the significance behind F value?

Thanks for any help you offer.

Trusted Advisor

Re: How to interpret GLM ouput?

The F-statistic compares two variances by dividing them, in the simple case of a one-way PROC GLM model, it would be the variance* of the model divided by the variance* of the residuals. A large number for the F-statistic indicates that the variability of the model term being tested is larger than the error variability, and if this number is large enough, then you say the F-statistic is statistically significant (in layman's terms, the F-statistic wouldn't get this large by random chance, and so we conclude that the result is due to a statistically significant effect). The Pr>F idnicates the probability of getting this large of an F-statistic if the null hypothesis was true. A Pr>F of less than 0.05 would indicate the effect is statistically significant with 95% confidence.

All of this is basic hypothesis testing, and if my paragraph above is not clear to you, then you probably ought to read a text on basic statistics and hypothesis testing.

* — well actually these are not variances but rather mean squares from the model, but they are very similar to variances

Super Contributor

What if the F value is more than 1000 ,e.g.2000. Still would be significant?

How the critical value being calculated in F-statistic? Whether the critical value keeps changes when degrees of freedom changes.?

Super User

"What if the F value is more than 1000 ,e.g.2000. Still would be significant?"

Yes. I think so. since all the statistical estimator is estimating a deviation. 1000 is the F value when H0 is true. F=1000 is already significant , so F=2000 would be more significant (i.e. the deviation is bigger).

"

How the critical value being calculated in F-statistic?"

F estimator is a combo of two Normal distributions , check its formula at wikipedia.com  

"Whether the critical value keeps changes when degrees of freedom changes.?"

No. I don't think so . It is depend on your significant degree  ALPHA . i.e.  is base on the ALPHA percentile  .

It have nothing to do with DF .

Xia Keshan

Super Contributor

Thanks for your inputs.

'1000 is the F value when H0 is true' - if F value is significant then we should rejecting the null hypothesis. isn't? So it means H0 is NOT true. Apologize if I'm wrong.

'P' value will be 0.05 for 95% CI. Do we've any standard (like P value) F critical value for 95% CI?

Super User

Yes. You are right .

F critical value for 95% CI  is the 95% percentile of F distribution.

P=0.05= Probability( F > F0)

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 3 in conversation