Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

How to incorporate shape, scale and location parameters using RAND("LOGNORMAL")

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to incorporate shape, scale and location parameters using RAND("LOGNORMAL")

Hello All,

I am starting to do more simulations and have a general question regarding simulating a lognormal distribution.  I have existing data that looks like the following (I've fitted a lognormal curve to the data). I would like to simulate more data using the MLE estimated shape, scale and location parameters for the exisiting data.  I noticed the RAND function does not support location, shape or scale for the lognormal distribution. How can I incorporate these parameters so that I can simulate data to look like my original data? I thought I could do Y = location parameter + scale parameter*X, where X =RAND("LOGNORMAL"). Am I on the right track here? Any help appreciated!!!

Histogram56.png

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎05-18-2016 08:40 AM
SAS Super FREQ

Re: How to incorporate shape, scale and location parameters using RAND("LOGNORMAL")

Chapter 7 of Wicklin (2013) Simulating Data with SAS has a section on "Adding Location and Scale Parameters" (p. 107-109).

For the lognormal function it says:

The RAND("Normal", mu, sigma) function generates X ~ N(mu, sigma). The random variable Y = exp(X) is

lognormally distributed with parameters  mu and sigma..... Notice that the location and scale parameters are added before the

exponential transformation is applied.

You can add a threshold parameter by generating theta+Y.

For an example in teh DATA step, see "Simulate lognormal data with specified mean and variance."

View solution in original post

All Replies
Occasional Contributor

Re: How to incorporate shape, scale and location parameters using RAND("LOGNORMAL")

Just for clarity, the embedded picture is from my acutal data. I would like to simulate more data that looks like this.

Grand Advisor

Look at the PDF('LOGNORMAL') function

Occasional Contributor

Yes I will, thank you! I didn't think about using the pdf function.

Solution
‎05-18-2016 08:40 AM
SAS Super FREQ

Chapter 7 of Wicklin (2013) Simulating Data with SAS has a section on "Adding Location and Scale Parameters" (p. 107-109).

For the lognormal function it says:

The RAND("Normal", mu, sigma) function generates X ~ N(mu, sigma). The random variable Y = exp(X) is

lognormally distributed with parameters  mu and sigma..... Notice that the location and scale parameters are added before the

exponential transformation is applied.

You can add a threshold parameter by generating theta+Y.

For an example in teh DATA step, see "Simulate lognormal data with specified mean and variance."

Occasional Contributor

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the feedback!  I understand now, and the link you provided with the example helps greatly.

Grand Advisor

Occasional Contributor

Thank you! This link is very helpful, Rick also referred to the same content on his blog. I appreciate your feedback!

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation