BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jsimmo02
Calcite | Level 5

I am using Proc SGPLOT to create a regression plot that charts 'occurances of condition x' (yaxis) against year of admission (xaxis) and I know how to include the 95% confidence intervals for that regression line (like this https://support.sas.com/kb/40504).

However my values for 'occurances of condition x' are estimates and each have an associated standard error. Eg for 2004, occurances could be 34.9 with stddev of 4.3 but 2005 could be 55 with a stddev of 0.3. Is there anyway to incorporate this error into my regression analysis. If not, what is the reason it cannot be done (ie: is it because SAS doesn't have the capability or is it something flaw in my understand of statistics).

Thanks

Jon

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Regression models aren't designed to handle the information AFAIK. There maybe more complex techniques that can, but one quick workaround is to do a simulation to determine ranges of intervals. 

jcsimmo
Fluorite | Level 6
Any idea how to do that?
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Look at the documentation of the WEIGHT statement for proc reg. This is most likely the way to go. Define w = 1 / stdErr**2; and use w in the weight statement.

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation