BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AshP
Calcite | Level 5
I have a very simple time series related question.

I have data spanning a four month time period. I have one data record for each day, so a total of approx. 120 data points.

All I want to know is whether there is a periodicity/seasonality to the data. Descriptively, it look like there is a weekly periodicity, but how do I identify this statistically?
3 REPLIES 3
SPR
Quartz | Level 8 SPR
Quartz | Level 8
Hello AshP,

You could use proc UCM:

http://support.sas.com/onlinedoc/913/docMainpage.jsp

Sincerely,
SPR
mfisher
Fluorite | Level 6
The simplest method to model seasonal patterns is to use dummy variables to represent the seasons. With such a short time series, a weekly periodicity is about the longest effect you can detect (i.e., you would not be able to see a monthly effect with only 4 months). A regresion model with the seasonal dummy variables as your inputs will serve you, but if there is any residual autocorrelation remaining, your MSE may seriously underestimate the variance of the error terms, so your p-values could be way off.

I'd use proc autoreg with the dummy variables and ask for the Durbin-Watson statistic to check for autocorrelation. Proc autoreg can handle autoregressive errors, if present.

Mark
proctice
Quartz | Level 8
Proc Spectra or Proc Arima: Dickey Fuller test, Seasonal Decomposition Plot

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation