BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lsantfrbp
Fluorite | Level 6

I would like to implement the two-part model of Olsen and Schafer (2001), who estimate coefficients in a model where the dependent variable is semicontinuous (lots of zeroes) and individuals are observed repeatedly over time. I guess my question is, is there a snatdard or easy way to do this, since the random intercepts estimated in the first part affect the covariance matrix of the effects in the second part (at least thats how I read it).

The first part is a logistic model with random effects. The second part numerically approximates a marginal likelihood w/ Gauss-Hermite quadrature, then maximizes it with Newton-Raphson.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lsantfrbp
Fluorite | Level 6

I ended up going with PROC NLMIXED. A very helpful resource was the white paper by McTernan and Blozis, "User-specified likelihood expressions using NLMIXED and the GENERAL statement." Their first example was very close to what i was looking for.  For future reference here is a link:

http://wuss.org/Proceedings13/67_Paper.pdf

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

This sounds like either fitting zero inflated models using PROC GENMOD or a mixture model using PROC FMM.  Have you looked at the documentation for these procedures?

Steve Denham

lsantfrbp
Fluorite | Level 6

I ended up going with PROC NLMIXED. A very helpful resource was the white paper by McTernan and Blozis, "User-specified likelihood expressions using NLMIXED and the GENERAL statement." Their first example was very close to what i was looking for.  For future reference here is a link:

http://wuss.org/Proceedings13/67_Paper.pdf

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I don't know if you can mark your own response as "Correct" in the new forums, but you certainly should, if able.  Good finding.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation