Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

How to do an Inverse regression in SAS?

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to do an Inverse regression in SAS?

Would someone help me on How to do an Inverse regression in SAS?

I actually need to generate Confidence interval of the response variable to a quadratic polynomial model,

Thanks,

Marcio

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎10-17-2014 11:00 AM
Respected Advisor

Re: How to do an Inverse regression in SAS?

A simpler approach would be to reparameterize your quadratic equation so that the position of the maximum is one of the parameters. That way you would get your confidence interval as a result of the regression.

So, for example, replace your equation Y = a + b*X + c*X**2 by Y = a - 2*c*Xm*X + c*X**2 where Xm is the position of the maximum that will be estimated by the regression procedure.

PG

PG

View solution in original post

All Replies
Respected Advisor

Hi Marcio,

Haven't done an inverse regression in years, but here goes on what I would do:

1. Regress y on x and x*x

2. Get confidence bounds on predicted value of interest.

3. Plug in upper bound as Y, and solve for x (IML would be a big help here).

4. Repeat for lower bound, thus giving inverted confidence bounds.

Maybe somebody has a macro, or knows the right PROC, to do this.

Steve Denham

Contributor

Hi Steve, I appreciate your prompt response.

Could you elaborate on Step 3?

I only used IML for creating contrast coefficients for unequal spaced levels of treatments.

Thank you,

Marcio

SAS Super FREQ

For a general regression model, you need to find the value of x that is mapped to a particular Y. For the general case you need to solve an inverse problem by using the FROOT function or the bisection method.  For a quadratic polynomial model I don't see the need for IML: just use the quadratic formula.

Contributor

Rick,

Thanks for your response.

Could you expand on the "just use the quadratic formula", Do I use that on the FROOT function?

Thanks,

Marcio

Trusted Advisor

Contributor

Paige, Thanks!

I know the formula for a quadratic equation.

My question is : How do I generate a Confidence interval of the response variable to a quadratic polynomial model?

SAS Super FREQ

Upon re-reading your question, I see that you want confidence intervals, not just the x value that corresponds to the specified Y value. Although the mean model is quadratic, the unpper and lower prediction limits are not quadratic, so I retract my statement about using the quadratic equation.

Let's use an example to see if I understand what I think you want to do. Please correct me if I am wrong. Suppose that you want to model WEIGHT in the sashelp.class data set by a quadratic function of HEIGHT.  You could run the following regression:

ods graphics on;

proc glm data=sashelp.class;

model weight = height height*height;

run;

My understanding is that you have a particular response value such as Weight=100. You want to find the top of the prediction limits and the bottom of the prediciton limits and use those values to find x_min and x_max. In the following image, x_min=55.5 and x_max=69.   Is that correct?  Or do you want to use the mean prediction (the light blue band) to find x_min and x_max, which will result in a narrower interval?

FitPlot.png

Contributor

Rick,

I appreciate your answer. I think we are getting to understand each other. See, in the image below, I am predicting the animal's requirement for a given nutrient. There requirement is at the level in which the nutrient maximizes growth. So say it the level of the nutrient is 0.20% (x axis). I would like to know the CI for that value, say 0.17-0.22%. Does that makes sense?

Thanks,

Marcio

chart.jpg

SAS Super FREQ

Oh. That is different. One of the statisticians ought to be able to describe how to do this.  I think it uses the standard error of the estimate for the quadratic coefficient.

Solution
‎10-17-2014 11:00 AM
Respected Advisor

A simpler approach would be to reparameterize your quadratic equation so that the position of the maximum is one of the parameters. That way you would get your confidence interval as a result of the regression.

So, for example, replace your equation Y = a + b*X + c*X**2 by Y = a - 2*c*Xm*X + c*X**2 where Xm is the position of the maximum that will be estimated by the regression procedure.

PG

PG
Contributor

PGStat,

Thanks ! It worked great. Now, do you know where I can find a reference for this information that you provided?

Thanks,

Marcio

Respected Advisor

Basic calculus. Very old stuff. Smiley Happy

PG

PG
Contributor

hahaha Now I saw what you did. Just replace b1 by the maximum value of X.

Thanks a lot! Saving lives!

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation