BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Aleres
Calcite | Level 5

Hi good day everyone,

I am a at the moment trying to figure out  how to go about calculating the Lakonishok, Shleifer and Vishny (1992) measure for determining the degree of investor herding behavior in a stock market. The SAS data file I am using consists of the variables: stock symbol (ticker), the volume traded (tvol), trade price (tprice), the trade value (tval), the client who initiated the trade (client), trade date (tdate), the time of the trade (rt), the sign indicating whether the trade initiated was a buy/sell (sign) as well as industry sector (sector) and the market the stock traded belongs to (market).

The LSV (1992) measure is as follows:

Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 12.47.08 PM.png

Thus far I believe I have been able to calculate P(i,t), using the below formula

Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 12.57.26 PM.png

and after much help, the sas code I used to find P(i,t):

data a (drop = market buyer seller tdate);
set TMP1.ttsetrades(where = (market = 'First Tier'));
timePeriod = intnx("WEEK", tdate, 0);
format timePeriod date9.;
run;

proc sort data=a;

by ticker timePeriod client;
run;

data b(drop=tvol sign);
do until (last.client);
     set a;
     by ticker timePeriod client;
     stvol = sum(stvol, tvol*sign);
     end;
run;

data Pit (keep=timePeriod ticker buyingClients totalClients herding);
buyingClients = 0; totalClients = 0;
do until(last.timePeriod);
     set b;
     by ticker timePeriod;
     buyingClients + (stvol > 0);
     totalClients + (stvol ne 0);
     end;
Pit = buyingClients/totalClients;
run;

I am stuck as to how to proceed from this point, any help given will be so much appreciated.

Thank you

A

1 REPLY 1
Gurjen
Calcite | Level 5

Did you figure it out? Would really appreciate if you could share the calculation with me.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation