BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
fridge_wpg
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have data of two methods 1) Non-destructive and destructive modes of estimating the total and corn ear components moisture content.

Considering that I have:  Husk Differential = Total Ear Moisture – (Kernel + Cob Moisture)

How can I deduce that husk may be influencing the total moisture of a corn ear?

I guess, by analyzing (plotting: The differential on the y-axis and husk moisture on the x-axis) the means of the square of the difference between the total ear moisture and Kernel+cob moisture, can provide some information!!!!

My question is why to square the differences? Then how to analyze it? Any suggestion (with sas codes, if possible) would be highly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

The differences are squared because if you take the simple differences from the mean and add them up you'll get zero (+ or - some rounding error)

You may be looking for a regression model where the dependend is variable expressing the right side of your equation and the independent variable the husk measure.

Use a BY variable with a variable that indicates the testing method to see if the results are the same.

You may want to standarize the units of measure (since you didn't mention them) since one expects more moisture by absolute measure (mass, weight or volume) for larger ears than smaller.

fridge_wpg
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I tried doing a regression between the difference in husk moisture (obtained: ((Total corn ear moisture - (kernel+cob moisture)) and kernel moisture. There is no linear relationship between them. I will start working on the problem in two weeks and will update you if I find anything different. Thank you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation