BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Frances
Calcite | Level 5
When evaluating simple or multiple linear regression models using SAS/LAB, an analysis of heteroscedasticity is provided. One gets a comment like the following:

"There is statistical (or "strong statistical" or "weak statistical") evidence that [dependent variable] variation is dependent on the value of [independent variable]. A transformation of [dep var] might be useful in reducing non-constant variance."

Or

" There is no (or "not much") statistical evidence that [dep var] variation is dependent on the value of [indep var]."

Does anyone know what SAS/LAB uses as "statistical evidence" for determining heteroscedasticity?? The help for SAS/LAB is practically non-existent and I can't find anything documenting the procedures used in SAS/LAB model evaluation.

Thanks for any hints,
Frances
1 REPLY 1
Frances
Calcite | Level 5
Ok, I think I found the answer to my question and am posting it here for those that may be interested.

From the SAS-L discussion group (someone had asked the same question):
One person said SAS/LAB uses Levene's test.

Also found (eventually) in the help:
The method SAS/LAB software uses for testing the assumption of equal within-group variances is based on Levene's test, as modified by Brown \& Forsythe (1974).

I'm assuming the Leven's test is what is used in the multiple linear regression case too.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation