BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mgrzyb
Quartz | Level 8

HI. I am stuck again. I never had to use a 1-sided test before.  I am trying to figure out how to do a one-sided anova or proc glm test. 

I tried everything.  I'm sorry that is a silly question. 

I want to do it on the SIM Variable. There are 18 simulations. (SIM stands for simulations)

My data looks like this: See attachment.  Or I have the wide version S1-S20.  

Thank you kindly!!

I don't know where that goes.  For example, here is GLM code:

proc glm data=elina.widemg;   (This is for the wide data of s1-s20)
class gamermg;
model s1-s20 = gamermg/ nouni;
repeated time polynomial / printe summary;
lsmeans gamermg / pdiff cl adjust=tukey;
run; quit;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mgrzyb
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you!! 

I did not think there was one. But I read a couple of papers from journals who said that they used 1-sided tests, and I thought they were wrong, and thank you for confirming that. 

I review for medical journals, and am particular about what can and can not be done.  I think these authors were wrong.  

Thank you so very much!!

Happy 4th.  I'll be writing all week. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

One sided test of what hypothesis? Please be specific.

The usual test in ANOVA is of the null hypothesis which says the means of all groups are equal. There is really no such thing as a one sided version of this particular tesst.

--
Paige Miller
mgrzyb
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you!! 

I did not think there was one. But I read a couple of papers from journals who said that they used 1-sided tests, and I thought they were wrong, and thank you for confirming that. 

I review for medical journals, and am particular about what can and can not be done.  I think these authors were wrong.  

Thank you so very much!!

Happy 4th.  I'll be writing all week. 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@mgrzyb wrote:

Thank you!! 

Thank you so very much!!

Again, @mgrzyb, I ask you to state the exact hypothesis of interest. I didn't say it can't be done. I said it can't be done for the primary test, which is the overall F-test, is not and can not be one-sided.

If you are comparing the mean of group 1 to the mean of group 4, of course that one can have a one-sided test.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation