BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
littleSAScat
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All.

I am conducting a survival analysis on a typical clinical dataset in sas studio: Treatment/Placebo; Event/Censored. I am going to use cox model to get a hazard ratio and I know how to do that with PROC PHREG. I am wondering if thats the only way to do it. If it is, how do people validate the value? (From my opinion, validation means different codes lead to same result)

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

@littleSAScat wrote:

Hi All.

I am conducting a survival analysis on a typical clinical dataset in sas studio: Treatment/Placebo; Event/Censored. I am going to use cox model to get a hazard ratio and I know how to do that with PROC PHREG. I am wondering if thats the only way to do it. If it is, how do people validate the value? (From my opinion, validation means different codes lead to same result)

I think you're going to need to explain in further detail what you're looking for.

Typically I wouldn't validate the results for every single procedure I ran. But if it was my first time doing survival analysis I'd find some sample examples online or in the documentation and ensure I could replicate the results and that I understood the information. And I'm not sure I would expect 'different codes lead to the same result'. The same result should occur with the same data, but if I've changed my code and therefore my model, why would I expect the same results.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

researchers can use the SAS/IML language to validate or extend the results of SAS procedures. There is a 1994 paper by Ying So that shows how to formulate censored data problems in PROC IML. The appendix has a complete program that you can adapt to your needs.

See also the SAS/IML documentation example "Survival Curve for Interval Censored Data."

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation