BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DaLack
Calcite | Level 5

I am using the effect statement in SAS 9.4 in order to estimate a nonparametric quantile regression with quadratic B-splines. I had chosen 2 internal knots and therefore got 5 basis functions. But I am struggling with the interpretation of the output. How can I read the table containing the parameter estimates? What is the meaning of the values? Why do I get an additional row with zeros?

My output looks similar to the second table given on this page:

http://support.sas.com/kb/57/682.html

In this example, there is also an extra row for the parameter of "sWeight7" which contains zeros.

Many thanks for your answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

A sentence just before the table that you reference says

"This flexibility comes at the cost of largely removing any meaningful interpretation of the individual parameter estimates."

Therefore you should not expect the results to be interpretable in terms of the underlying explanatory variable.

If you question is "what do these coefficients mean," then the answer is given in the SAS/STAT doc in the section "Splines and Spline Bases."  Each coefficient represents the coefficient of a B-spline basis that are placed at uniformly spaced knots. The predicted values are represented as a linear combination of those coefficients times the corresponding basis functions.

As shown in the documentation of the TRANSREG procedure, a spline effect generates columns in a design matrix. The extra row of zeros occurs because you are using a SAS procedure (QUANTREG?) that uses a GLM parameterization of classification effects.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

A sentence just before the table that you reference says

"This flexibility comes at the cost of largely removing any meaningful interpretation of the individual parameter estimates."

Therefore you should not expect the results to be interpretable in terms of the underlying explanatory variable.

If you question is "what do these coefficients mean," then the answer is given in the SAS/STAT doc in the section "Splines and Spline Bases."  Each coefficient represents the coefficient of a B-spline basis that are placed at uniformly spaced knots. The predicted values are represented as a linear combination of those coefficients times the corresponding basis functions.

As shown in the documentation of the TRANSREG procedure, a spline effect generates columns in a design matrix. The extra row of zeros occurs because you are using a SAS procedure (QUANTREG?) that uses a GLM parameterization of classification effects.  

DaLack
Calcite | Level 5

Many thanks for the profound answer. I will consider your comments.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation