BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Fanny1
Calcite | Level 5

I may have a difficult question. 

I have conducted an observational study in the behaviour of chimpanzees. There were three groups (of 4, 6 and 7 animals) which each received a different type of intervention (Control, I1, I2). They were observed during a  baseline and intervention period. Data were non-parametric. I wanted to known whether there was an effect for the interaction 'intervention x period'. My supervisor gave me the instructions as to how I had to program SAS, but actually I had no idea what it all meant at the time. 

I am not great in statistics and after a lot of research, I am still not confident of what I did. Now, I have to write my Materials & Methods, and I want to properly describe the statistic procedures I have done and why. Can anyone assist me?

These are the instructions I was given:

Proc glimmix data=dataset;

class chimp group intervention period;

model behaviour x = intervention x period intervention period / link=logit dist=binomial ddfm=kr;

random intercept / subject=chimp(group) type=chol;

lsmeans intervention x period intervention period/pdiff adjust=bon;

lsmeans intervention x period intervention period/cl ilink;

run;

2 REPLIES 2
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

What code did you actually run? What was is supposed to test, according to your supervisor?

PG
Fanny1
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your fast reply, PG

It was supposed to test whether there were significant changes in behaviour in each group between the baseline and intervention period.

I did not receive explanations why the GLIMMIX procedure was most fitted for the analysis, but I guess it is because the data were non-parametric, it involved repeated measures, there were differences in sample sizes (4, 6 and 7 animals) and because not every subject was observed equally often, and the length in baseline and intervention periods differed. 

This is the code I actually run: 

data dataset;

set dataset;

run;

Proc univariate plot normal;

var (behaviour x)

run;

Proc glimmix data=dataset;

class chimp cgroup intervention period;

model behaviour = intervention*period intervention period/ link=logit dist=binomial ddfm=kr;

random _residual_;

random intercept / subject=chimp(cgroup) type=un;

lsmeans intervention*period intervention period/pdiff adjust=bon;

lsmeans intervention*period intervention period/cl ilink;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation